dissabte, 23 de març del 2013

Spring 2013

With the Spring Equinox barely behind us, many things have already begun to change.  Neighbors have come and gone away, bringing new neighbors.   The grass is getting taller, and the volunteer plants have established themselves in the cracks in the sidewalk.  This morning I awoke at 2:30am to my kitty pouncing on my stomach- and the smell of skunk.  The smell gradually weakened as the sun came up, but even at 2 o'clock in the afternoon today I can still smell it.  Almost as if something happened with that skunk on our front porch!  A wise friend once told me that when you smell the smell of a skunk, you are walking somewhere you have never walked before.

Today was overcast in the morning, which inspired me to pot some calla lilys that I have had for several years.  They grow to be quite large year after year, and the wooden trough they have been living in finally fell apart.  I made a special mix of sand and lava rock with some very rich soil (and more sand) that I have been saving.  Once they recover from the trauma of being replanted I will move their new pot back to the north side of the house along the wall- just outside the kitchen window so I can see them again.

Here is a picture of some daffodils that are blooming along the south side of the house near the mailbox.  There are several more along the front of the yard but there were so many I couldn't get them all in one picture.
It has turned into a nice sunny day, I must make a point to sit outside and enjoy it.  Wish we had a firepit.